Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Interview w/ Chris Bavaria of MINDSET.

Mungkin ini kali kedua saya memposting sebuah interview non-lokal. Dulu, pernah ada postingan dimana Reza Gampang (Dead Pits) meng-interview Porcell dan saya posting di blog ini. Oke, kembali ke intro, kali ini Sweet Widi dari Feel The Burn yang berkontribusi. Well, sebenarnya, interview ini adalah materi yang rencananya akan dimuat di The Only Way, newsletter kepunyaan dia. Namun karena satu dan lain hal, Widi memutuskan untuk menerbitkan interview ini di akun pribadinya di jejaring sosial bernama Facebook. Namun (lagi), karena satu dan lain hal, akun pribadinya ternyata tak bisa diakses oleh semua orang, dan singkat kata Widi meminta saya untuk memuat interview ini di blog ini. Voila! that's whats up!

Well, simak interview Sweet Widi bersama Chris Bavaria (MINDSET) yang dilakukan sebelum album 'Leave No Doubt' rilis. Check, check, check it out! (dodski/uxb)

This interview was done just before "leave no doubt" came out. Enjoy!
-sweetxwids

I know a lot of the readers already know about Mindset, but before anything else could you introduce yourself and the band to the readers?
 
Mindset is hardcore band from Baltimore, Maryland. Mike & Austin play guitar, the almighty Dfang plays drums, Evan sings, and I play bass.
 
How long have you guys been together? Could you tell us a brief history about Mindset? And who set the idea of the name Mindset?

We've been together for about 5 years. Ev and Mike are the only original members. I joined before the first West Coast tour in the Summer of 2008. Dfang joined after the first record came out and Austin has been with us for a year now. I believe Ev came up with the name Mindset.  Mike and Ev's old band, Anti-Wasteoids, used the name for the title of their last record.  I think they had already thought about changing the name, because on that record Mindset is actually way larger than the old name.  I think it was kind of a turning point in what they wanted to do with a band, and really started to take things seriously once they changed it.
 
Could you tell us how did you get involved in the hardcore scene?

I grew up in central Pennsylvania which had a very small, but awesome, punk and hardcore scene.  My older brother started taking me to shows when I was 11 years old.  From the start I was hooked and played in a bunch of punk bands throughout the years. Mike has even told me that he used to come to fire hall shows up in PA when he was young and see a bunch of the bands I played in. I met those dudes years later and was stoked on what they were doing and then Mike asked me to join.

If I'm not mistaken you guys are from Baltimore, Maryland right? Could you describe the scene there and bands or people that influenced you?
 
None of us actually grew up in Baltimore, we are all from small towns about an hour away.  But Baltimore was kind of always the hub of where to go to see cool bands.  When we were finally able to play some shows there, and people started recognizing us and that we were serious, the whole scene opened it's doors. The city can be intimidating to people but we are trying to make everyone feel welcomed. I love Baltimore and think it has one of the best punk scenes I've ever seen.  Shout outs definitely to Mike Riley and Rob Sullivan for helping us out tons at Charm City Art Space as well as Tony Pence at Celebrated Summer Records.   

You guys play an awesome aggressive style of old school/youth crew hc/punk, what makes you decided to play this style?
 
We love Youth of Today.

What do you think about the straight edge scene nowadays? Could you share your perspective about straight edge and what straight edge means to you?
 
I don't really think there is a straight edge scene. I am straight edge for me and don't give a shit what anyone else does. However, I do think it is the punkest thing you can do. Buying beer and cigarettes is not punk. Supporting awful corporations that are trying to hook you in to make more money is not punk. I said before in another interview, how I find people at bars all the same. Whether you think you're punk or you are a dumb jock you are doing the same shit just in different clothes.

Whats the definition of DIY for you? How difficult is it to be a follower of the DIY ethics in a consumer society?
 
It's something that can be difficult for sure. You have to choose your battles though. As far as the band goes, we do everything ourselves or with the help of our friends.  I think people realize that and appreciate it. DIY to me just means never relying on anyone to do anything for you.
 
Seeing you guys live on the internet, I really like the way Ev talks to audience/crowd in between songs, how intentional is this?
 
Very intentional. Most bands do not say anything anymore. I'm sick of bands with nothing to say. If you are getting up on a stage and holding a microphone, you better have something to say. Whether I agree with you or not, please say something!
 
Create/Control is my favorite track from the "Time & Pressure" EP, could you tell us the meaning/what the songs about?
 
It is basically about taking the power back and not following blindly to what politicians/media/whomever is telling you. Think for yourself and follow your heart.

Who is in charge of writing the lyrics? Is Evan or you guys do this together?
 
Ev pretty much writes most things. Every once in awhile someone else will throw in a line here or there.
 
How did you guys end up with React Records, any story behind it?
 
We did a bunch of shows with The First Step, and Aram asked if he could put out a record for us. It was sealed with a hug.

Do you think political/social activism a part of hc/punk?
 
Yes definitely. I love political music. And I think music is a great tool to get people off their ass and actually DO something. It also goes back to actually saying things on stage and not being a fence sitter and actually standing up for something. I know shows are places to have fun too, but they can be a lot more.

Any sorts of collaborations in which you all been involved in? Any other side project bands?
 
Dfang plays in like 15 bands. You may have seen him in Sacred Love, Praise, Peace, Turnstile, Hostage Calm, and various others.  Ev also plays bass in a new band called Wargames, with Tony from Deep Sleep and the drummer from The Pist! Mike also plays guitar in Peace. Austin plays in Clear, with some Boston dudes, as well as Give and Peace occasionally. And I also play bass in Praise.

Tell us a bit about your new released "Leave No Doubt" ?

It is our first full length LP. 10 songs. We are super stoked. Should be out the first week of October!

A lot of old bands get back together and do reunion shows/tour, what do you think about this?
 
You'll probably hear me complaining about it somewhere. But it's whatever. You can tell the ones who are doing it for the right reasons. I'm more concerned with current bands. I don't really care to see 50 year old fat dudes who don't care about anything they used to sing about.

What do you do for your day jobs?
 
I am a photography teacher at a community college. Ev is an architect. Mike works for the National Parks Service. Austin is the manager of a fabric store. And Dan is just a full time musician at moment.

Tell us about other genre/bands outside of hardcore you listen to? Any favorite singer or bands that inspired you? And why?
 
Mostly just old punk and oi. That's the stuff I grew up on and continue to listen to. Bands like Blitz, 4 Skins, Cock Sparrer, etc. It's good and stands the test of time.

Lastly how much do you know about the Indonesia hardcore scene and would you guys come here for a visit or even play a show if there's a chance? I know the kids here still hoping to see you guys someday?
 
I honestly don't know anything about it. Our friends in Anchor went over and I know they had a blast. Maybe someday we'd be able to. We've never been able to leave the states yet, but who knows!

Thanks for doing this interview Chris, any last words for kids here?
 
Thanks for the support. Stay punk, stay free. XXX 


No comments:

Post a Comment